Dr. Attila Askar is currently a professor of mathematics Koç University. Prior to his
current appointment, Dr. Askar served Koç University as professor of mathematics,
Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, Provost and President. His previous academic
appointments included positions at Bogaziçi University in Istanbul,
University, Princeton University, Paris University VI, Max-Planck Institute in
Göttingen and the Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm. Attila Askar
received recognitions which include the Junior Scientist; and Science awards
of the National Research Council (Tübitak), the Information Age Award of
the Ministry of Culture and is a member of the National Academy of Sciences of
Turkey. His recent research interests included scattering of classical and quantum
waves; wavelet analysis and molecular dynamics. He is the author of over eighty
research journal articles and two books. Attila Askar received his Engineering
Diploma from the Technical University of Istanbul in 1966 and his PhD from Princeton
University in USA in 1969.
Selected Journal Articles (since 1990)
1. "Nonlinear Surface Gravity waves: Continuous and Discontinuous Solutions", M. Can, A. Askar, Wave Motion 12, 485 (1990).
2. "Discrete-Continuum Hybrid model for Dynamics with Applications: Desorption of Adsorbates and relaxation of Lattice Inclusions", T. Thacher, H. A. Rabitz, A. Askar, J. Chem. Phys. 93, 4673 (1990).
3. "Convergence Properties of a Class of Boundary Element Approximations to Linear Diffusion Problems with Localized Nonlinear Reactions", A. Peirce, A. Askar, H.A. Rabitz, Numerical Methods for Partial Differential Equations 6, 75 (1990).
4. "Discrete-Continuum Hybrid model for Gas-Surface Collisions I: Trajectories with Single, Multiple Collisions and Capture", A. Askar, H.A. Rabitz, Surface Science 245, 411 (1991).
5. "Discrete-Continuum Hybrid model for Gas-Surface Collisions II: Closed Form Perturbation Solutions for Single Collisions", A. Askar, H.A. Rabitz, Surface .Science 245, 425 (1991)
6. "Subsoil geology and soil amplification in Mexico Valley", P. Hadley, A. Askar, A.S. Cakmak, Int. J. Soil Dyn. Earthqu. Eng. 10, 101 (1991).
7. "Earthquake Wave Propagation in Layered Media dy Boundary Itegral Methods", P. Hadley, A. Askar, A.S. Cakmak, Int. J. Soil Dyn. Earthqu. Eng. 10, 130 (1991).
8. "Optimal Control of Acoustic Waves in Solids", Y.S. Kim, R.H. Rabitz, A. Askar, J. B. McManus, Phys. Rev. B 44, 4892 (1991).
9. "Application of the Born-Oppenheimer principle to classification of time scales in molecules interacting with time-dependent external fields", T. J. Gill, S. Shi, A. Askar, H. A. Rabitz, Phys. Rev. A.45, 6479 (1992).
10. "Long time scale molecular dynamics subspace integration method applied to anharmonic crystals and glasses", B. Space, H. Rabitz, A. Askar, J. Chem. Phys. 99, 9070 (1993).
11. "Molecular dynamics with Langevin equation using local harmonics and . Chandrasekhar's convolution", A. Askar, R. G. Owens, H. A. Rabitz, J. Chem. Phys. 99 (7), 5316 (1993)
12. "The continuum solid and compliance functions in gas-surface low energy collisions A.Askar, Computer Physics Communications 80, 168 (1994)
13. "A Direct Method for the Inversion of Physical Systems", Inverse Problems, Caudill-LF Rabitz-H, A. Askar 10, Iss 5, pp 1099-1114 (1994)
14. "Optimal-Control of Laser-Generated Acoustic-Waves in Solids Full source", Physical Review B-Condensed Matter, Kim-YS Tadi-M Rabitz-H, A. Askar, Mcmanus-JB 50, Iss 21, pp 15744-15751 (1994)
15. "Generation of Controlled Acoustic-Waves by Optimal-Design of Surface Loads with Constrained Forms", International Journal Of Engineering Science, Kim-YS Rabitz-H Tadi-M A. Askar, Mcmanus-JB, 33, Iss 6, pp 907-920 (1995)
16. "Subspace Method for Long-Time Scale Molecular-Dynamics" Journal Of Physical Chemistry 1995, A. Askar, Space-B Rabitz-H 99, Iss 19, pp 7330-7338
17. "Wavelet Transform for Analysis of Molecular-Dynamics Journal Of Physical Chemistry 1996, A. Askar, Cetin-AE, Rabitz-H 100, Iss 49, pp 19165-19173
18. "Interior Energy Focusing Within an Elastoplastic Material" International Journal Of Solids And Structures 1996, Tadi-M Rabitz-H Kim-YS, A. Askar, Prevost-JH Mcmanus-JB 33, Iss 13, pp 1891-1901
19. "Focused Bulk Ultrasonic-Waves Generated by Ring-Shaped Laser Illumination and Application to Flaw Detection", Journal Of Applied Physics 1996, Wang-X Littman-MG Mcmanus-JB Tadi-M Kim-YS, A. Askar, Rabitz-H, 80, Iss 8, pp 4274-4281
20. "Laser-Beam Propagation in a Saturable Absorber", J Optical Society Of America B-Optical Physics 1997, Sennaroglu-A Atay-FM, A. Askar, 14, Iss 10, pp 2577-2583
21. "Quantitative Study of Laser-Beam Propagation in a Thermally Loaded Absorber" J Optical Society Of America B-Optical Physics 1997, Sennaroglu-A, A. Askar Atay-FM, 14, Iss 2, pp 356-363
22. "Alternating Direction Implicit Technique and Quantum Eution Within the Hydrodynamical Formulation of Schrodinger’s Equation" Chemical Physics Letters 1998, Dey-BK, A. Askar, Rabitz-H, 297, Iss 3-4, pp 247-256
23. "Multidimensional Wave-Packet Dynamics Within the Fluid Dynamical Formulation of the Schrodinger-Equation", Journal Of Chemical Physics 1998, Dey-BK, A. Askar, Rabitz-H, 109, Iss 20, pp 8770-8782
24. "Quantum fluid dynamics in the Lagrangian
representation and applications to photo-dissociation problems", F. Sales Mayor,
A. Askar and H. A. Rabitz, J. Chem. Phys. 111, 2423 (1999)
25. "Optimal control of molecular motion expressed through quantum fluid dynamics", B. Dey, H. A. Rabitz and A. Askar, Phys. Rev. A. 61, 043412-1, (2000)
26. "Solution of the quantum fluid dynamics equations with radial basis function interpolation", Xu-Guang Hu, Tak-San Ho, H. A. Rabitz and A. Askar, Phys. Rev. E. 61, 5967 (2000)
27. "Optimal control of molecular motion expressed through quantum fluid dynamics", B. Dey, H. A. Rabitz and A. Askar, "Selected Abstract from other Physical Review Journal", Phys. Rev. E, 61, 6032 (2000)
28. "Multivariate radial basis interpolation for solving quantum fluid dynamical equations", Hu XG, Ho TS, Rabitz H, A. Askar, Comput Math Appl 43 (3-5): 525-537 Feb-Mar 2002
29. "Optimal Reduced Dimensional Representation Of Classical Molecular Dynamics, B. K. Dey, H. Rabitz, A. Askar, J Chem Phys 119 (11): 5379-5387 Sep 15 2003
1. "Methods in Applied Algebra and Analysis", A. Askar, Bogazici Üniversitesi (1981)
2. "Lattice Dynamical Foundations of Continuum Theories of Solids", A. Askar, Series in Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, World Scientific (1986).
Office Tel: (90)(212) 338 1216